Forum for my creative team artist.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Hello from Delaware!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
waterrabbit

PostSubject: Hello from Delaware!   Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:34 am

Well, the bar has been set high by Nonni and Songbirdy, but I'll try my best.

My name is Patty Dennis, but digitally, I am WaterRabbit. (If you are wondering where that came from, it is my Chinese zodiac sign. And if you want to confuse yourself more, I married my DH Eric who is a Metal Rat in 1989, the year of the Earth Snake.)

I grew up in the Washington, DC area of the US, but I was actually born in Germany - an Army brat, but just barely. My dad retired from the Army when I was just a year and a half. So, no memories of Germany at all. When I married Eric, I moved to Delaware. Started in Newark, moved across the street and was in Bear for 23 years. In September, we made a rather spontaneous decision that it was time to move. End of October (on our 25th anniversary), we moved to the new place in New Castle.

I grew up in a crafty family - my mom did a lot of sewing and taught us girls embroidery. (Did I mention I am the 6th of 7? Boy, girl, boy, girl, girl, ME, boy.) All of my sisters do art in some form now - and one is an Art Therapist. I came back to crafting when I got sick.

Ah yes, sick. I have had Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (Myalgic Encephomyelitis in other parts of the world) for over 18 years now. Good days and bad days. It certainly forced me to slow down! But it could be worse. Could be cancer - no, wait, did that, too. I am a breast cancer survivor. Three years ago at this time, I was bald from going through chemo. But it was a very minor brush with cancer and caught incredibly early on a mammogram.

Love: reading - almost anything and everything, handcrafts of all kinds - I embroider, sew, quilt, collage, bead, etc. I used to cross-stitch, but brain fog keeps me from following the patterns, cats (currently three), cooking when I am in the mood, puzzles (crosswords to figuring out a problem in photoshop or illustrator) I watch too much television and I play too much solitaire. Eric is still very involved in the medieval re-enactment group where we met, me, not so much. But I did go back to Pennsic (a very large medieval camping event in the summer) for the first time in 18 years last summer and I had fun.

And I think I've now run out of things to say...

Patty (WaterRabbit)
Back to top Go down
Songbirdy

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Delaware!   Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:14 am

Woohoo! Great to see you here Patty - you little chickadee you!

cheers
Back to top Go down
TangledBlueRose

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Delaware!   Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:47 pm

Hi Patty! Love your digital name, so cool! Wonderful to read about what makes you, you!
Back to top Go down
http://tangledbluerose.blogspot.com
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Delaware!   Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:50 pm

What a story.  I also have brain fog because of my autoimmune sickness. Last time I am making brain training with my tablet .neuromotion is the name of the app. It is really good. Welcome on board Patty! bounce By the way what is this medieval thing?

Back to top Go down
http://www.polish-your-art.com
waterrabbit

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Delaware!   Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:30 am

The medieval thing -

The group that we are/were associated with is Markland (Markland Medieval Mercenary Militia) which was started at the University of Maryland in 1969 by some members of the fencing club. The idea was to "recreate" the Battle of Hastings on the 900th anniversary - they were three years too late. I joined in 1981 because of, well, boys. I went to an all-girl Catholic high school and one of my home room friends was always talking about the great feast she'd gone to that weekend. I was curious and went and never looked back. Markland is a small group that seems to get smaller every year. But a lot of the people in it got really serious about doing "first person" stuff, where you get really authentic with the clothing and equipment and portray a particular person from a specific time period. There's actually an event this weekend in Jamestown, VA called Military Through the Ages which will have a wide array of groups re-enacting periods from the Romans all the way up to modern day (always a reserve unit there). For this side of things, which we call "rec" for recreation, fighting demonstrations are done with real (dull) weapons and choreographed like stage fighting.

On the other side of things is what Markland calls "frat" for fratricidal combat. Real fighting done with fake, padded rattan weapons. Usually at some kind of camping event. There's a MUCH larger group (worldwide) called the SCA (Society for Creative Anachronism) which was started in the sixties in California. They're the ones that run the Pennsic War north of Pittsburgh every summer. They get more than 10,000 people there. And it is like a medieval shopping mall! Lasts 2 weeks, so it is definitely a more comfortable camp experience - our camp has a working shower and utility sink. Some bring gas stoves.

And now there is a sort of "ultimate" fighter group - real weapons, real armor, etc. with a big tourney every year called Battle of Nations. It has been in France and Spain and I think this year's will be in Poland. We have a few friends involved in that. One was part of the first women's team the US ever fielded. In real life, she's a economics professor. She and her sweetie (who she met when she saw him at a fighter practice on the side of the road) are getting married this weekend. He proposed on the battlefield in Spain last year - with a castle behind them.

As I said, I am not nearly as involved as I once was. Spent a lot of my last years of high school and college going to rec battles and feasts. Didn't go to a frat war until after I met my DH. We were both in the group for years but going to different events. We were set up on a blind date and that was that.

This is a photo of Eric and me at Pennsic not too long before we got married.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Delaware!   Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:57 am

WOw! That is impressive. I understand now. We also have kind of medieval community in Poland.

We have a lot of wonderful medieval castles. And many people visit those castles and ruins from all over the world.

And one more great castle from Poland.

Back to top Go down
http://www.polish-your-art.com
lulutoo

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Delaware!   Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:44 am

Welcome, Patty! What a cool photo of you and your husband. Marta, those are really cool pics you posted from Poland, too. I remember there was an episode of House about a medieval role-playing community.
Back to top Go down
annlavin

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Delaware!   Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:47 pm

Hi Patty...wow love the photo of you and hubby Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Delaware!   Today at 10:56 pm

Back to top Go down

Hello from Delaware!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1